Esri Canada's Garden in the Sky
In June 2009, we completed the installation of a new 704-square metre green roof at our headquarters in Toronto. The project transformed an adjacent paved terrace on the 9th floor of Esri Canada offices into a green roof that provides important business and environmental benefits.
Our rooftop garden provides outdoor space for formal office meetings, corporate events and informal lunch breaks, and delivers a visually-stimulating and enhanced workplace environment to our employees, helping to improve productivity.
It also helps reduce the urban heat effect by cooling and filtering the surrounding air. It provides energy savings by reducing heating and cooling costs, as plant layers provide additional insulation to the structure beneath. The green roof also retains up to 75% of summertime precipitation, and delays and filters storm water run-off, reducing sewer overflows. It provides an additional habitat for birds, butterflies and other wildlife.
We selected only environment-friendly materials for our green roof – roof modules are constructed with 100% recycled polypropylene; module plants are obtained from local nurseries; and wood for benches used on site came from a managed forest.
Our green roof project qualified for a grant under the 2009 Eco-Roof Incentive Program for Green Roofs in Toronto. With our green roof, we are supporting the City of Toronto's initiative to become a healthier city.
- 2010 Green Roofs for Healthy Cities Award of Excellence
- 2010 Green Toronto Award
- 2010 Ontario Association of Landscape Architects' Certificate of Merit for Service to the Environment
- 2010 Greenroofs.com's Love the Earth, Plant a Roof! Earth Day Photo Contest Winner
- 2009 Design Exchange Award
- Climate Watch Shorts: How the urban heat island effect makes record-setting heat worse
Video by Sat Nandlall, TVO, August 4, 2016
- Up on the roof, green takes root
By Brenda Dalglish, Globe and Mail, July 24, 2012
- Eco-Roof Case Study: Esri Canada
City of Toronto, Toronto Environment Office, June 2011
- Green on the Go
By Kylie Wroblaski, Buildings, January 2011
- Green Roof Project of the Week: EsriCanada's Garden in the Sky
By Linda Velasquez, Greenroofs.com, May 19, 2010
- Prefab, Portable Green Roof Installed In Toronto
By Lloyd Alter, TreeHugger, October 5, 2009
- Software can keep green roof over Torontonians' heads
By Nestor Arellano, ITBusiness.ca, September 18, 2009
- Green Roof Bylaw leads to channel opportunity
By Maxine Cheung, Computer Dealer News, September 16, 2009